Tuesday, February 4, 2014

World Cancer Day - February 4, 2014

Today is world cancer day.  A day to celebrate cancer survivors and I am a survivor, twice over.  The first time I beat cancer was March 2004.  The second time was December 2009.  I'm happy to say I kicked cancer's a$$ twice!  

This month also marks 10 years since I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer - WOW!  Even though 10 years have passed I still remember that day like it was yesterday and I'm sure my mom does too.  Although the details she remembers from that day may be a little different.  After all she was just given the news that her daughter had ovarian cancer.  I'm certain our recollection of the day would be two different stories because it would be told from two different perspectives.  I was told I had cancer and she was told her daughter had cancer.  Being a mother myself I don't know how I would handle that type of situation.  I hope and pray I never have to hear those words again.  

It seems like we all know someone who has fought the battle or is fighting it now.  I know two people who are both currently going through chemo and radiation treatments.  My friend Ang has 3 rounds of chemo left, yahoo!  While our family friend Glenn just started his chemo and radiation treatments.  Both are strong people who are determined to kick cancer's a$$ and I can't wait to celebrate this huge milestone with the both of them.  

To show my fellow cancer survivors support I have turned my Facebook profile purple.  It's a simple thing anyone can do to their Facebook or Twitter accounts.  It doesn't take long and in addition to showing your support Chevrolet will contribute $1 to the American Cancer Society for every purple profile, up to $1 million!  On their campaigns website, cleverly named, "Purple Roads" they have videos, links to donate to the American Cancer Society and suggests ways you can get involved.  I highly recommend everyone take a few minutes to peruse the site and change their Facebook or Twitter profile purple! 



Click here to view Chevrolet's "Purple Roads" website to change your profile now and find out how you can help find cures and support anyone you know going through this battle! 

And, even though this post is not all about babies I still wanted to link up with Kristin over at Mama and Mou because cancer is something that affects us all.  Cancer doesn't care how old or young someone is or how healthy or strong they are cancer has its own agenda.  You can't plan for it so let's all show our support today and everyday - THANKS!!

I'm linking up with Kristin for Baby Talk! 
http://www.mamaandmou.com/

1 comment:

  1. Done and shared!! This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, I had no idea about the campaign.

    BTW it's awesome that you kicked cancers A$$ twice!! Cancer has taken too many of my family from me too soon, so I love hearing when people conquer it!

    aintnodramamama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete